Supervise and develop the events departments for the hotel.
- Administer all phases of the events department, including, but not limited to, sales, planning, marketing, servicing, and administrative procedures.
- Solicit new and existing accounts to meet/exceed revenue goals through telephone solicitation, outside sales calls, site inspections and written communication. Participate in catering sales presentations, property tours and customer meetings.
- Up sell to improve revenue generation on property.
- Direct, manage, train and counsel convention services and banquet staff.
- Be readily available during functions for consultation with client.
- Prepare, implement, and compile data for strategic sales plan, annual goals, forecasts, and other reports as directed and/or required.
- Participate in daily business review meeting, sales meetings, and management meetings.
- Tour, inspect and monitor banquet rooms and presentations.
- Work closely with client after booking to develop good working relationship, including letter of introduction, meeting planner materials, prompt response to calls and requests.
- Assist in development of banquet menus pricing and revenue minimums using current competitive data.
- Direct, manage, train and counsel catering sales and convention services/banquet staff. Oversee divisional matters as they relate to federal, state, and local employment and civil rights laws.
- Maintain detailed records of discussions with guest, including room accommodations, meeting setups, food & beverage, transportation, etc.
- Flexible schedule required to accommodate client needs.
- Preside at conference planning meetings where details related to group coordination will be discussed and reviewed by management.
- Conduct exit interviews with clients to solidify repeat business and distribute results.
- Actively participate and lead as an Executive Committee Member of the hotel
Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position. Employees with irregular attendance will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel. In addition, attendance at all scheduled training sessions and meetings is required.
Upon employment, all employees are required to fully comply with Driftwood Hospitality Management, LLC Marriott rules and regulations for the safe and effective operation of the hotel’s facilities. Employees who violate hotel rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the manager based upon the particular requirements of the hotel:
- Professionally represent the hotel in community and industry organizations and events.
- Participate as a team player with all departments.
- Provide constructive feedback to all departments.
- Be a leader and a role model to all employees.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process.
- Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Most tasks are performed in a team environment with the employee acting as a team leader. There is minimal direct supervision.
- Extensive knowledge of food and beverage products, proper preparation and presentation of food and beverage items.
- Extensive knowledge of meeting room capacities, banquet set-up, audio-visual and any other pertinent details as they relate to function room set-up.
- Ability to assess/evaluate employee’s performance fairly.
- Ability to supervise, train and motivate multiple levels of managers and employees.
- Knowledge of hotel and competitive market.
- Must possess basic computational ability.
- Must possess computer skills, including, but not limited to, accounting programs, Microsoft Word, Excel and Sales Pro.
- Excellent interpersonal and sales-related skills.
- Exceptional organizational and supervisory skills.
- Exceptional food and beverage knowledge and pricing.
- Thorough knowledge of federal, state and local laws governing equal employment opportunity and civil rights, occupational safety and health, wage and hour issues, and labor relations, including, but not limited to the following statutes and their state and local analogues (where applicable): Title VII, ADEA, Equal Pay Act, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, FLSA, ADA, OSHA, FMLA, and NLRA.
- Most work tasks are performed indoors. Temperature is moderate and controlled by hotel environmental systems.
- Must be able to sit at a desk for up to 5 hours per day. Walking and standing are required the rest of the working day. This includes traveling to and from meetings. Length of time of these tasks may vary from day to day and task to task.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability to maneuver between functions occurring simultaneously.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability to reach other departments of the hotel on a timely basis.
- Must be able to lift up to 25 lbs. occasionally.
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motion, listening and hearing and visual ability.
- Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors and other employees.
- Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near vision and depth perception.
- Must have finger dexterity to be able to operate office equipment such as computers, printers, 10-key adding machine, electric typewriter, multi-line touch tone phone, filing cabinets, FAX machines, photocopiers, dolly and other office equipment as needed.
High school or equivalent education required. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
Must have availability to work any day of the week and hours based on business and client demands.
Four+ years catering sales and convention services experience required; prior hotel experience preferred
Licenses or Certificates
Must always maintain a valid driver’s license and ability to obtain required food and alcohol permits.
All employees must maintain a neat, clean, and well-groomed appearance per Driftwood Hospitality Management, LLC and Starwood standards.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.
EOE/M/F/D/V/MUST BE AUTHORIZED TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES