The Director of Sales will develop and execute effective strategies and tactics for bringing corporate/association meetings & conventions, tradeshows and athletic events to Utah Valley’s hotels and convention center. The position will lead and direct the sales team incorporating pro-active efforts to identify potential opportunities that will result in booked hotel room nights while pursuing new business opportunities. Establishes specific quarterly and annual room night goals and solicits leads and business through various methods. DOS is responsible for all sales administration/reporting and will determine the most effective use of the Bureau’s resources to promote Utah Valley as a desirable meeting destination.
Increase lodging room nights for Utah Valley hotels and resorts through leading the Explore Utah Valley’s (EUV) pro-active sales team.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES (includes, but not limited to):
- Organize, develop, and assume responsibility for the implementation of a comprehensive sales and marketing program designed to bring corporate meetings and conventions, film commission events, tradeshows, sporting, and special events.
- Develop the overall strategy and assign responsibility for implementing all direct pro-active sales effort programs including tradeshows, bids, site visits, cold calling, promotions, city blitzes, direct mail, email, face-to-face meetings, and FAM trips. Includes participation in these programs with responsibility in maintaining specific account/segment responsibility.
- Capitalize on prospects and generate qualified leads, ultimately resulting in increased hotel occupancies and room nights booked in Utah Valley.
- Supervise and oversee Client Relations Management database of potential corporate meetings, conventions, film events, tradeshows, and sporting events business for Utah Valley.
- Hire and maintain sales staff. Monitor and supervise sales personnel, review weekly sales reports with staff, set goals and monitor quarterly and annual sales leads and room night goals.
- Monitor and supervise the Bonus Sales Program through regularly scheduled meetings with sales staff. Report to the Executive Director regarding progress and production of sales staff. Annually review bonus program guidelines.
- Provide annual performance evaluations for sales team.
- In conjunction with the Executive Director and other department heads develop an Annual Business and Marketing Plan to include programs funded by the Utah County/Utah Valley CVB grant program.
- Works closely with the Director of Marketing to implement set strategies to effectively produce desired results of objectives as outlined.
- Evaluate sales trends, competition, economic/business conditions, and recommend changes as needed.
- Participate and represent the Bureau in appropriate local and national organizations and within the hospitality community.
- Develop and maintain relationships with Utah Valley hoteliers, restaurants, and other tourism hospitality partners.
- Submit written progress reports for the UC/EUV grants (detail return on investment/ROI).
- Prepare monthly sales reports and other statistical files for Bureau records.
- To be a Utah Valley ambassador and representative in all areas.
- Conduct weekly meetings with EUV sales team.
CORE COMPETENCIES and CHARACTERISTICS NEEDED:
- Communication Skills:
- Must be an exceptional listener.
- Must be an effective and persuasive communicator and speaker.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships of all levels and with all stakeholders.
- Sales Expertise:
- Significant group and convention sales experience is a must.
- Previous success training, motivating and coaching a mid to large sales organization.
- Ability to be hands on wen necessary to assist with closing business.
- Proven ability to rally with community stakeholders to develop creative packages what will book business.
- Strong, interactive leader.
- Skilled in the areas of market analysis, deployment, and research.
- Experience with setting goals and measuring success.
- Critical Characteristics Needed:
- Independent worker.
- Impeccable diplomacy.
- Exceptional consensus builder.
- A visionary.
- Problem solver with the ability to multi-task.
- Enthusiastic, dependable, positive team player.
- Ability to travel and to provide own transportation.
- Ability to manage projects and recap all assigned activities.
- Proficient in MS Windows including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in marketing, business, or a related field.
- Minimum five years hospitality/tourism sales/operations experience desired, preferable in a hotel or convention and visitor’s bureau environment.
- Substantial knowledge/awareness of the association/corporate marketplace.
- Experience in recognized convention industry meetings/trade shows.
- An equivalent combination of education or experience may be substituted for the aforementioned qualifications, if warranted.
- Annual/Quarterly agreed upon goals, including personal booking goals for room nights.
- Completes work within established deadlines, timelines.
The Bureau offers medical and dental insurance, sick and vacation leave, and a 401K retirement plan. This is a full-time salaried position including a bonus incentive plan. Salary based upon candidate’s experience.
Send cover letter and resume to:
Explore Utah Valley (UVCVB)
The position is open until filled.