Ashton Garden Horticulture Manager
The Ashton Garden Horticulture Manager is responsible for the installation and maintenance of plants throughout the garden, coordinates with other departments on events, and helps maintain a clean and safe environment. This position supervises garden crews and works with other managers to ensure high standards are maintain throughout the garden. This position reports to the Garden and Landscape Director.
- Develop, maintain, and promote positive and professional relationships with internal staff, volunteers, members, vendors, contractors, media, and the public.
- Develop expectations for garden crews.
- Supervise and train garden supervisors in proper horticultural techniques, equipment operation, and company policies and procedures.
- Inspect garden areas for safety hazards, cleanliness, and plant health. Make assignments to crew members and coordinate with other managers to resolved issues.
- Look for inefficiencies and develop processes and policies to alleviate them.
- Coordinate with Garden Designer to implement landscape designs.
- Participate in the planning of garden events, flower beds design, and scheduling of work.
- Coordinate with Irrigation Manager on proper watering of flower beds, lawns, and tree and shrub areas.
- Coordinate with event planners to ensure areas are prepared for events and vendors have access to the garden areas.
- Work with the Facilities Department to make sure water features, drinking fountains, and other facilities are functioning properly.
- Work with the Water Tower Campus Horticultural Manager to install spring and fall flower displays and other large projects.
- Coordinate snow removal of sidewalks across entire property.
- Manage the installation and strike of our holiday light display “Luminaria”.
- Ability to follow directions and work independently.
- Meet weekly with Garden Director to prioritize projects and ensure horticultural goals are being met.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture or related field or 5 years plus work experience
- Experience supervising employees.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office
- Fluent in English and Spanish highly desired
- Must be able to work outside in all kinds of weather.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Must be able to work from a ladder.
Shift Hours and Days Required
Will be working Monday – Friday, 7:00 am to 3:30 pm, summer hours are 6:00 am to 2:30 pm. Some early mornings, late evenings and weekends required for events, snow removal and maintenance as needed.