Job Title: Public Relations & Communication Manager
FLSA: Full-time, Exempt
Salary: DOE. $55,000-$60,000 annual salary, plus bonus.
Reports to: Vice President of Public Relations & Communication
Department: Public Relations & Communication
The role of the Public Relations & Communication Manager is to manage the daily PR and Communication efforts of Visit Salt Lake, targeting Local, National and International media sources that can help grow the awareness and desirability of Salt Lake as a destination. These efforts are spread out across all market segments including Meeting & Convention as well as Leisure Travel.
- Ideate, plan and execute — in conjunction with Vice President of Communications — entire goal-driven communications campaigns across multiple channels: media, internal audiences, stakeholders, and government entities.
- Develop and present compelling Salt Lake story ideas to journalists, free-lance writers, editors and staff writers for publication in convention, business, travel, ski, lifestyle, adventure, trade and other local, regional and national publications both online and traditional.
- Maintain and curate strong local, regional and national media relationships.
- Manage local media opportunities — identify and facilitate local media opportunities aligned with Visit Salt Lake’s mission.
- Actively manage visiting journalists with robust itineraries and hands-on hosting
- Serve all incoming conventions with local media relations assistance and media reports.
- Work with local media firms for project-based needs.
- Directs broadcast brand strategy and content calendar for Visit Salt Lake News Desk
- Assigns and coordinates additional staff involvement & execution.
- Develops thematic programming concepts and assigns staff members to execute.
- Works directly with audio visual company on programming cadence.
- Manages broadcast calendar for all segments and meeting planner/convention take-overs
- Manage online media database and campaign resources from outreach to reporting.
- Oversee the writing and editing of press releases, in-house newsletters, speeches and articles and assist in the scripting for the organization’s quarterly meetings.
- Salt Lake News & Notes – Curate weekly communication targeted at local and business stakeholders. These e-letter communications share the most up-to-date news and pertinent information about Salt Lake and the Visitor Economy.
- Maintain strong relationship with Salt Lake County public relations staff, Salt Lake County ski resorts, hoteliers, restaurateurs, attractions, Salt Palace Convention Center staff, and other Salt Lake public relations professionals.
- Create and host media events in Salt Lake and other targeted communities to expose journalists to Salt Lake story ideas.
- Build media lists and conduct outreach and reporting on Cision platform. Lists to include targeted segments based on Visit Salt Lake initiatives and research on top potential markets/audiences.
- Conduct all local pitching and media outreach with scripts and images and manage onsite media appearances.
- In tandem with tourism marketing partners, provide support for hosting national media and freelancers with detailed itineraries, customized press materials and follow up reporting.
- Conduct media visits to journalists in major markets.
- Act as Visit Salt Lake spokesperson and conduct on-camera and on-air interviews with broadcast media when the President and CEO or VP of Marketing is unavailable.
- Track positive earned media efforts of Visit Salt Lake through local and national clipping services on a monthly basis.
- Create robust media ROI reporting mechanisms and communicate well with members, internal staff and community.
- Provide copywriting and editing needs for marketing programs and needs. Inclusive of scripts, speeches, website technical writing, e-letter communication, press releases and annual reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
Reports directly to the VP of Communications & Media.
- Four-year degree from an academic institution or equivalent and a minimum of four years communications, public relations and media relations experience.
- Knowledge of media newsroom workings and needs.
- Media experience with outdoor and sports industries preferred.
- Natural storyteller who can take complex topics and make them easy to digest.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Documented effectiveness in motivating journalist to publish story ideas that communicate a central theme or message.
- Proven ability to develop media programs to accomplish strategic objectives.
- Possess excellent communication skills (written, oral, and grammatical), as well as a working knowledge of AP style).
- Experience in crafting press releases, media advisories, advertorial writing, copy writing, and B-Roll.
- Attention to detail, strong organization and project management skills.
- Proven track record of successful media placements.
- Unmatched journalist relationships.
- Confidence, enthusiasm and energy and a proactive approach to communications.
- Managing press opportunities through to completion – including staff interviews, developing background bios, briefing executive spokespeople and tracking through the publishing process.
- Able to work frequent evenings, weekends, and holidays based on journalist and office demands.
- Minimum intermediate skier/rider level a plus.
Insurance: medical, dental, life, long term disability. 401(k) plan, Vacation, Sick, and major holidays PTO.
Application Deadline May 28, 2021: Submit cover letter & resume to: Steve Gertsch:
Final candidates will be subject to a background and reference check. E/O/E
CitySalt Lake City