As a Sous Chef 2 you will work under the direction of the Executive Chef and Assistant Director of Food and Beverage to provide food of the highest quality and execution during assigned shift. Assist in the daily operations of the kitchen: labor control, food ordering and cost control, and rotation of product. Be the lead in the kitchen during the absences of the Executive Chef.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Reports to work on time and in proper uniform.
- Ensures standards of appearance and sanitation are maintained on a daily basis.
- Maintains good and safe working environment.
- Ensures all mise en place is done properly per recipe or instructions daily.
- Takes fast and appropriate action to solve problems. Handles guest issues in a professional timely manner.
- Handles employee issues fair and quickly with the assistance of the Executive Chef and/or Dining Room Manager.
- Maintains line of communication between Chef, Lead Cook and other kitchen staff.
- Responsible of maintaining kitchen equipment properly.
- Rewards & disciplines kitchen staff as merited by employee performance, and provides ongoing training.
- Assures the kitchen is working within its budget guidelines of food cost, labor cost, and other operational costs including controlling of waste.
- Assist in daily record keeping: ordering, payroll, daily reports and daily sales.
- Assist in menu design.
- Travel: Occasional travel to/from resort
- Occasional contact with guests.
- Direct and continuous contact with co-workers, management, and other departments.
- Must have the ability to interact at any time with guests and other employees in a pleasant manner and maintain good working relationships with others and all departments at Snowbird.
- Supervision/Management: in absence of chef, direct and continuous.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED DO GET THE JOB DONE
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Associates degree in related field. Additional related work experience may be substituted for education.
- 3-5 years of job-specific work experience with demonstrated competence.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Food Handler Permit required
- The ability to read and write effectively, basic math skills: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Ability to work stations all stations through the kitchen: Grill, Sauté, Hot Apps, Pantry, and Pastry.
- Ability to delegate task and follow up effective per shift.
- Understand recipes.
- Above average knowledge of product identification and quality control.
- Understand measurements in both metric and English standards.
- Can demonstrate above average knife skills and understanding of cooking methods.
- Ability to multi-task during the work shift.
- Must demonstrate strong interpersonal skills, listening and oral communication skills, also conflict management and dispute resolution skills; must demonstrate ability to lead, motivate, develop and counsel employees.
- Experience in restaurant with 200 plus seats.
- Hotel and Resort experience preferred.
- Prior management and training experience required.
- Strong leadership and experience in making hard decisions are required.
- Requires exercise of judgment within policy guidelines and without supervisory approval; requires problem solving and initiation of activities within job description and responsibility limitations; requires strong understanding of other Snowbird operations.
- Computer knowledge of word and excel
- Assist in daily ordering of product.
- Understanding of P&L and ability to analyze monthly.
- Shifts vary, primarily day shifts.
- Weekends and holidays required, depending on business levels.
- Must be prepared to stay overnight, if necessary, on occasional times of road closures.
- May experience unusual stress from continual work with public, winter conditions, snow night requirements and commuting to/from Snowbird.
- Must be able to lift 35 lbs.
- Must be able to carry trays and other items needed for service.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Must demonstrate ability to bend, kneel, handle, reach, grasp and perform repetitive motions.
- Must be able to stand/walk during your shift.
WHY WORK HERE
- Ski pass and comp ticket benefits
- Discounts at Snowbird eateries, retail shops, mountain school, lodging and daycare for employees
- Available medical, dental, vision and accident insurance – benefits are available based on position and are subject to change
- Discounts with Powdr partners
- Free transportation to work: UTA Buss and Rideshare Vans, Canyon Transportation vans and Employee Blue Shuttles
WHO WE ARE
Snowbird is a world-renowned resort just 6 miles up Little Cottonwood Canyon. Here, winter enthusiasts experience all types of mountain terrain which can be enjoyed by every level of skier and snowboarder. Guests can sharpen their skills at our topflight mountain school, go for a backcountry snow-cat tour or enjoy an exhilarating Heli-ski adventure. Snowbird offers 4 hotels, 15 restaurants, conference facilities, summer activities, Oktoberfest and a full-service spa, all surrounded by spectacular granite peaks – making Snowbird a world-class destination.
Snowbird’s ambition is to provide unique big mountain experiences that grow the committed Snowbird family. This includes both our team members and our guests. By helping everyone experience what makes Snowbird unique and special, the environment, the mountain, the canyon and the people. In this way they make memories for a lifetime, “memories that match our mountain”.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the role. We require all candidates that receive and accept employment offers to complete a background check before being hired and comply with our professional appearance, drug & alcohol, and employee conduct policies.
Apply on hotel’s jobs sitehttps://www.snowbird.com/jobs/